ILBC Returning Swimmer Registration- Delayed Opening
GASL is closely following USA Swimming, local and federal government recommendations during the Corona Virus outbreak. Currently all USA Swimming events and practices are canceled til April 30th. We will be delaying opening registration for ILBC summer swim team until we have more information from GASL about the season. Please check back and keep and eye on your email for more news.
How Can I Join?
We are excited you are interested in ILBC for your swimmers!
New Swimmer Registration: New swimmers interested in joining ILBC's swim team will need to add their information to our wait pool. We typically have a handful of open spots each season. If you are interested in joining the team please complete the wait pool link (found above) to be added to the list to be notified of open spots. On or about April 20th we will begin extending open spots to swimmers in our wait pool.
Returning ILBC Swimmer Registration: Returning swimmers (all 2019 team members) will receive a link to register once the season is confirmed. Once you click the link and register your children you'll automatically have an account created in Swimtopia. This account will be your hub for all things swim team!
Swim Ability: New swimmers should be able to swim the length of the pool (stroke doesn't have to be pretty) to join the team. We have found summer after kindergarten to be the ideal start time for young swimmers.
Swim Evaluations: All new swimmers will be asked to come to a quick 10 minute swim evaluation to allow coaches to place them in the appropriate swim group. These typically take place the Tuesday after Memorial Day.
Cost: We work hard to make swim team an affordable experience. Currently it is $125 per first swimmer, $105 for second swimmer, $90 for third swimmer and $80 each for additional swimmers. ILBC members receive a $30 discount per swimmer. In addition all swimmers need to have AAU insurance and that is $14 per swimmer. Swimmers will also need some gear- you can see details on that below. All meets are free except the optional AA County Meet.
What is expected of team members/families?
ILBC is a great place to grow your swim skills, meet new friends and have fun! There are a few expectation to be aware of to ensure you have a great summer:
1. Practice is a Priority! Please make every effort to attend practices. The optimum number of practices is 4/5 per week, but a minimum of two per week should be attended to participate in that week’s meet. Exceptions to this rule will be made on a case by case basis when parents inform the head coach of the circumstances (i.e. vacation, sickness, etc.). All swimmers who swim with another swim team during the summer must also make at least 2 ILBC practices each week.
2. Meets are Important! We are in a competitive league - Greater Annapolis Swim League- as such we need swimmers to compete in meets! Each swimmer is expected to compete in at least two regular season meets each summer. Additional swim meet opportunities include our Red-White inter squad meet, GASL Championship meets and the County Summer Swim Meet.
3. We Run on Volunteers! ILBC swim team in a nearly entirely volunteer run organization. With the exception of the coaching staff everyone who leads is a volunteer. Swim meets also require LOTS of volunteers to run smoothly. Each family will be asked to fulfill 8 volunteer points per child with a family maximum of 20. At the end of the season there will be a $10 fine for each point not fulfilled. All fines will need to be paid prior to the start of the following season or your swimmer's spots may be released to the wait pool. Volunteer registration opens on May 15th at 8:00am for sign-ups!
4. Gear! Summer swim team does not require a lot of gear to participate but we do have a few things you'll need:
- Goggles- we recommend mirrored googles to help with sun in the eyes
- Team Suit- every two years the team selects a new suit. These are available for purchase from Cy's at our team gear pick up day in April or you can purchase online at a retailer of your choice. The 2020-2021 team suit is the Speedo Coded Riff Flyback in Red for the girls and the Speedo Coded Riff Jammer in Red for the boys.
- Team Swimcap- per GASL rules all swimmers who wear a cap for meets must be in a plain cap or a team logo cap. We will have ILBC caps available at registration and concessions. It is expected that girls with long hair will wear a cap for practice and meets.
- Sneakers- our older groups all participate in dryland practices most days and will need sneakers for this practice.